This eBook will cover various concepts of Azure Functions, its development, deployment, management, and monitoring. Microsoft launched Azure Function early 2016 as a preview, and it became generally available mid-November of 2016.
The benefits of Azure Functions in a nutshell are:
- Managed service by Microsoft, thus less DevOps.
- Focus on business logic, deliver solutions faster.
- Lower effort to experiment – ‘built fast fail fast.’
- Only pay what you use, i.e. for each execution.
- Reusability of functionality.
Some of the common scenarios for Azure Functions can be:
- Timer-based processing
- Azure service event processing
- SaaS event processing
- Serverless web application architectures
- Serverless mobile backends
- Real-time stream processing
- Real-time bot messaging
Steef-Jan Wiggers is all in on Microsoft Azure, Integration, and Data Science. He has almost 20 years’ experience in a wide variety of scenarios such as custom .NET solution development, overseeing large enterprise integrations, designing and building API’s and cloud solutions, managing projects, experimenting with data, SQL Server database administration, teaching and consulting. Steef-Jan loves challenges in the Microsoft playing field combining it with his domain knowledge in energy, utility, banking, insurance, healthcare, agriculture, (local) government, bio-sciences, retail, travel, and logistics. He is very active in the community as a blogger, book author, InfoQ editor, and global public speaker. For these efforts, Microsoft has recognized him as a Microsoft MVP for the past 9 years.
Enjoy the book!
Topic: DevOps, Development, Operations
Target audience: Developers, Architects
Level: 200 – 300